Help to Claim

Help to Claim

Do you need help with a Universal Credit claim? 

If you are thinking about claiming Universal Credit for the first time, we can help. Our trained advisers can guide you through the process, whether you're looking for answers to quick questions or step-by-step support to make your claim.

Universal Credit is the fastest growing advice area for the Citizens Advice network in Scotland. Since the roll out began we’ve helped thousands of people with Universal Credit issues.

Universal Credit is a government benefit payment designed to help with living costs. It's paid monthly (or twice a month for some people in Scotland), and it can be paid to people on a low income or who are out of work. 

Universal Credit is being introduced across the UK in stages, and replaces: Housing Benefit; income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA); income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA); Child Tax Credit; Working Tax Credit; and Income Support. There are several stages involved in claiming Universal Credit, and it should be claimed online.

How can you access the service?

Our service is available over the phone and online through webchat and online through on our advice pages - to allow you to access support in the way that’s right for you.

You might be sign-posted or referred to the service by the Jobcentre or other support agencies, or you can self-refer.  Whatever route in, you can access the service in a way that suits you so you can get support you need. 

What support can we provide?

However you access the service, we’ll start by checking your eligibility for universal credit and assessing your individual needs. 

Our specialist advisors can support you to;-

•  Find out if you’re eligible for payments 

•  Step-by-step support to complete your UC claim

•  Prepare for your first JobCentre appointment

•  Check your first payment

Do you need access to longer term support and help?

Help to Claim can supports you to make your initial Universal Credit claim.  We can also support you with other issues within the Citizens Advice network or through other organisations. So please get in touch with Parkhead Citizens Advice Bureau if you need further assistance.